In November 2021, we launched the memory-optimized Amazon EC2 R6i cases, our sixth-generation x86-based providing powered by third Technology Intel Xeon Scalable processors (code named Ice Lake).
In the present day I’m excited to announce a disk variant of the R6i occasion: the Amazon EC2 R6id cases with non-volatile reminiscence categorical (NVMe) SSD native occasion storage. The R6id cases are designed to energy purposes that require low storage latency or require non permanent swap house.
Clients with workloads that require entry to high-speed, low-latency storage, together with people who want non permanent storage for scratch house, non permanent information, and caches, have the choice to decide on the R6id cases with NVMe native occasion storage of as much as 7.6 TB. The brand new cases are additionally accessible as bare-metal cases to assist workloads that profit from direct entry to bodily sources.
Right here’s some background on what led to the event of the sixth-generation cases. Our prospects who’re presently utilizing fifth-generation cases are in search of the next:
- Greater Compute Efficiency – Greater CPU efficiency to enhance latency and processing time for his or her workloads
- Improved Value Efficiency – Clients are very delicate to cost efficiency to optimize prices
- Bigger Sizes – Clients require bigger sizes to scale their enterprise databases
- Greater Amazon EBS Efficiency – Clients have requested larger Amazon EBS throughput (“at the least double”) to enhance response instances for his or her analytics purposes
- Native Storage – Massive prospects have expressed a necessity for extra native storage per vCPU
Sixth-generation cases tackle these necessities by providing generational enchancment throughout the board, together with 15 p.c enhance in value efficiency, 33 p.c extra vCPUs, as much as 1 TB reminiscence, 2x networking efficiency, 2x EBS efficiency, and world availability.
In comparison with R5d cases, the R6id cases provide:
- Bigger occasion dimension (.32xlarge) with 128 vCPUs and 1024 GiB of reminiscence, enabling prospects to consolidate their workloads and scale up purposes.
- As much as 15 p.c enchancment in compute value efficiency and 20 p.c larger reminiscence bandwidth.
- As much as 58 p.c larger storage per vCPU and 34 p.c decrease price per TB.
- As much as 50 Gbps community bandwidth and as much as 40 Gbps EBS bandwidth; EBS burst bandwidth assist for sizes as much as .4xlarge.
- All the time-on reminiscence encryption.
- Assist for brand new Intel Superior Vector Extensions (AVX 512) directions equivalent to VAES, VCLMUL, VPCLMULQDQ, and GFNI for quicker execution of cryptographic algorithms equivalent to these utilized in IPSec and TLS implementations.
The detailed specs of the R6id cases are as follows:
Native NVMe SSD Storage (GB)
EBS Throughput (Gbps)
Community Bandwidth (Gbps)
|r6id.giant||2||16||1 x 118||As much as 10||As much as 12.5|
|r6id.xlarge||4||32||1 x 237||As much as 10||As much as 12.5|
|r6id.2xlarge||8||64||1 x 474||As much as 10||As much as 12.5|
|r6id.4xlarge||16||128||1 x 950||As much as 10||As much as 12.5|
|r6id.8xlarge||32||256||1 x 1900||10||12.5|
|r6id.12xlarge||48||384||2 x 1425||15||18.75|
|r6id.16xlarge||64||512||2 x 1900||20||25|
|r6id.24xlarge||96||768||4 x 1425||30||37.5|
|r6id.32xlarge||128||1024||4 x 1900||40||50|
|r6id.metallic||128||1024||4 x 1900||40||50|
The R6id cases can be found at the moment within the AWS US East (Ohio), US East (N.Virginia), US West (Oregon), and Europe (Eire) Areas as On-Demand, Spot, and Reserved Cases or as a part of a Financial savings Plan. As traditional, with EC2, you pay for what you employ. For extra info, see the Amazon EC2 pricing web page.
– Veliswa x